Saturday, November 28, 2009

What is dating?



Sometimes we use words that we are used to hearing all the time, but for some reason we need to listen to the rest of the sentence in order to get a feel for what's going on in order to completely understand what the person is trying to say. For example:

John: Dude, I heard they've been talking recently.
Mary: No way! I knew there was some attraction between them..

Notice that John referred to talking as "courting" or "flirting" or "getting to know each other" but not just "talking". You are probably wondering why the title of this blog is "What is dating?" well we know that it is a simple question, but the answer is ... well, still simple, but not as simple. Let me explain:

It moves forward in stages, you see.. it works in a certain order.

The following two terms discussed are interchangeable:

When two people meet and there is somewhat of an attraction between them (even if they don't directly say it) it becomes known as talking, just like in the example stated previously. That couple is now "talking".

I've been talking to this one girl I met at the bookstore, she's pretty cool.


Now if two people meet and become interested in one another, they decide to get to know each other by either hanging out more or talking. When a third-party hears this, it becomes obvious that there are some romantic intentions from one or both sides.

Yeah, we're just getting to know each other right now. We'll see what happens.


Now this is where it gets a little more complicated. Though you can reject people at any point, it becomes easier past this one because now you have access to different terminology.

Once you start hanging out more with this person and you two have pretty much established the fact that you both are attracted to each other, and people start noticing, talking, and asking questions about it, you move onto the seeing each other.

I'm very sorry, but I'm kinda seeing somebody right now.

Going on dates is when the real thing starts to happen. You have to be very careful on how you explain it in order to not give the wrong idea. When a woman says "I've been kinda dating this guy" it means that she has probably gone to dinner and a movie with a guy, and has gone for a second and perhaps a third date with him but nothing official. If she says "I'm dating somebody" it means specifically that she is more serious about this guy, and that they guy is potentially (most likely) her boyfriend.

Why is this confusing? Because there are so many other words that people use to say that a person has a boyfriend or girlfriend.

I am with somebody.
I am
going out with someone.
I am
in a relationship with him.
Her and I are
together.
We have been
dating for 3 years.

Dating! Dating is up there! But didn't we just use "dating" as something else? Yeah, we did. So pretty much "what the heck?".

We use these in different ways, so in order to be sure that you are understanding a story from someone, just ask the following question:

"Is this person your boyfriend/girlfriend then?" and you will get one of five responses:

Duh (Why would you even ask that, seriously. Have you not been listening to this person speak all this time?)

Yes (The story might have been a little confusing, so asking for clarification makes sense.)

I don't know (What the heck? It gets confusing sometimes, jeez.. leave them alone!)

Not yet (Oh! Something is happening.. exciting.)

No (Feel free to ask why because you probably really misunderstood the story)

Enjoy every single one of these stages, and feel free to skip any if you want. We have to get our words straight though, otherwise we just cause a bunch of confusion.

If these explanations are way off from your opinions, spill! We have to get our words straight here. I hope this didn't confuse you even more. If it did . . uh oops?

No comments:

Post a Comment