Monday, November 30, 2009

On the road

I was driving with one of my roommates down to Los Angeles in order to run some errands, and blah blah blah . . the point is I got to be the passenger. When you drive around so much, its nice to just sit on the passenger seat and look at stuff around you. You miss out on many things when you are driving (but you never miss the billboards; somehow you always manage to see and read them).

Even though it is against the law in California to be talking on your cell phone while driving, people still do it. There are certain risks people are willing to take, you know? Besides isn't the fine for using your phone only like 20 dollars anyway? At any one moment while on the road, there was at least one person on their cell phone that I could see through the passenger side window.

But thats not the interesting part of the story. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an Asian woman picking her nose on the lane next to us. I just laughed a little bit and kept singing the song that was playing on the radio (I think it was Taylor Swift). Then as we sped up and passed a BMW x5, I saw a man in a suit picking his nose as well. By then, of course, I had to point it out.

"Dude, look. What's up with people and picking their nose?"

"Ha ha!"

"No man, look, that's the second person I see that has been doing that. In a row."

I don't know if he thought I was crazy for noticing such a dumb, pointless thing but then he discovered how common it was after we passed the following car. This woman was going all out with it! I mean two thirds of her finger were up her nose. Yeah.

And so we drove, and I kept seeing people picking their noses, I must have counted about 8. Oh and I also saw someone clipping their fingernails, and another guy eating a Big Mac (and those things are hard because they come in a box and not a plain wrapper, which means you have to take it out of the box to eat it . . get why its hard?). A woman was covering her line of sight with the sun visor AND applying make up.

I don't know if it was a good thing seeing all those things happen. Do you guys realize that we are traveling a minimum of 65 miles per hour while these things are happening? Well, they keep me entertained, and even though I feel less safe on the road, I'm glad I know that the most embarrassing thing anyone can see me doing while driving is singing.

Next time I'll bring my camera though.

P.S. Here is a quote from my good friend: "I don't want that phone because I can't text with it while driving. With this one I can text with one hand"


No comments:

Post a Comment